Friday, July 3, 2009

Patio Party

It's summertime in the South and while my body is adjusting to the 90 degree heat, my sister decided to throw a patio party. As we planned the menu, Mary Ashley knew she wanted to make Parmesan Flans from Frank Stitt's restaurant Bottega (which deserves a blog entry unto itself). I suggested adding a fresh leafy green and berry salad to lighten things up. We also served champagne cocktails with a little pineapple juice and a splash of grenadine. Everything was delicious and refreshing, which is key when eating outside in the Georgia heat. One of my favorite recipes was the Wonton Crisps that went along side the salad. These crisps are SUPER easy to make and most grocery stores carry the wonton wrappers. If you'd like to change the toppings try sesame seeds or paprika, but I just love the thyme in this recipe.



Wonton Crisps
12 square wonton wrappers
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tsp thyme
3 Tbsp olive oil
Coarse salt

1.) Cut wonton squares into triangles (or use a cookie cutter to make shapes). Grate cheese and mix with herbs. I prefer finely grated Parmesan grated with a zester.
2.) Set triangles on a baking sheet and brush with olive oil and lightly season with salt. Sprinkle on cheese and herb mixture and bake for 5-8 minutes at 350 degrees or until crisp and light brown. Makes 24 triangles.


Leftovers are great on an antipasto platter!

1 comment:

  1. see? wasn't my patio party such a good idea?!?!
    p.s. make me more. avec sesames

    ReplyDelete