Sunday, July 12, 2009

Ice-cream fit for the Fourth of July!


Seth and I have been married just over a year now! Times flies not only when you're having fun, but more so when your husband is in the Navy! I wish we could have spent the 4th together (as well as our anniversary), but I was thankful to be flown back to Atlanta to be with my family and close friends. What a blessing they have been! They have also put up with many of my crazy recipe adventures, such as chocolate cherry and Baileys' ice-cream. While I do enjoy Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia ice-cream, I always finish craving more tart cherries, and dark chocolate! My dad received an ice-cream maker for Father's Day and I thought that the 4th would be a wonderful time to make this frozen dessert.

Chocolate, Cherry, and Bailey's Ice-cream-
(Makes one quart)

Cherries:
1 cup pitted and halved fresh cherries
1 Tbsp lemon juice
Zest from one lemon
1/4 cup sugar
-Bring all ingredients to a simmer. Cook for a minute until cherries give up some of their juice. Refrigerate.

Ice-Cream:
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 1/2 cups whole milk
1/2 cup sugar (more if you prefer sweeter cream)
-Bring cream, milk, and sugar to a simmer and stir until sugar dissolves. Chill overnight.

Add ins:
2 Tbsp to 1/4 cup Bailey's Irish Cream, depending on your taste
3/4 cup chopped dark chocolate
-Pour cream mixture into ice-cream maker and follow machine directions. Add Bailey's to taste.
-When ice-cream has reached desired consistency pour into a freezable container. Stir in cherries with a little juice and chocolate. (If you prefer pink ice-cream you can add the cherries and chocolate into the maker while it is still turning. ) Freeze a couple of hours before serving.
-Scoop ice-cream into a chilled bowl, drizzle with extra cherry juice and Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. After looking at the picture I am tempted to a)go buy an ice cream maker and b)buy the ridiculously overpriced cherries here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I wish we could ship some cherries to you! We have farm stands along the road selling gobs of them. Come visit!

    ReplyDelete