Monday, June 22, 2009

More Veggie Recipes

I promise I'll write about something other than vegetables, but its summertime and I'm surrounded by farmer's markets and fresh produce. Can't help myself! I did find some lovely baby golden beets at our hospital's Thoroughly Fresh Thursday market. My fellow dietitian gave me a wonderful recipe, but I had to make a few changes. If you can't find beets with the greens attached, then you can substitute kale or chard.

Warm Orange Beet Saute
1 bunch baby golden beets with greens
1 fresh orange, peeled and chopped
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 garlic scallion (or 2 garlic cloves), minced
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 Tbsp toasted almonds
Salt and pepper to taste

1.) Remove greens from beets and set aside. Boil beets in salted water until fork tender. Shock in ice bath and skins should slide off. Cut into bite size pieces.

2.) Heat oil in large skillet and saute garlic briefly. Add greens and and vinegar and wilt for 2-4 minutes. Add beets and oranges and heat through. Remove greens, beets, and oranges and let vinegar reduce. Before serving sprinkle of almonds. Serves 2 people.

3 comments: