Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Community Supported Agriculture

So I have to admit, I've been lazy and not just with my blog! After returning from a crazy house hunting trip, a good friend picked up my CSA and put it in my fridge. I spent a couple days casually making salads, sauteeing up some kale with my Walla Walla onions, and eating raw snap peas like candy. I wasn't really thinking, until I picked up my CSA today and realized that I still have half a share left from last week AND a share to eat this week. All the veggies from the farm can last several weeks so I wasn't feeling the pressure of using everything before they went bad. Its just that my crisper is full and we'll be moving in 2 months so I don't really want to stock my freezer. This week I've decided to use vegetable in my crisper and prepare it in a way that is more creative than a simple saute. If you have suggestions let me know!

Here is my inventory:
2 heads of lettuce
1/4 pound salad mix
1 head cabbage
1/2 pound sugar snap peas
1/2 pound fava beans
1 kohlrabi
1 fennel with fronds
1 bunch kale
1/2 pound broccoli
3 Walla Walla onions
1 bunch golden beets

So far today I've eaten half my sugar snap peas as well as a leafy salad with beets (boiled and chopped) and a lemon ginger dressing. I also blanched and froze the beet greens for use later in the week, maybe a quiche? Washing and prepping all these veggies takes time, but they are so delicious. These vegetables were picked this morning, so think of their nutritional content. Go support your local farmer's market or farm stand!

Update: I've now eaten ALL my sugar snap peas, so delicious!

1 comment:

  1. It won't use up much of your greens, but whenever I make chicken salad, I like to add in a leaf or 2 of finely chopped kale. It's a great way to get in a few more veggies!

    ReplyDelete