Monday, September 21, 2009

Homemade Mayo

Before I loose your attention, let me tell you that you can make homemade mayonnaise in 8 minutes! (and in even less time in a food processor) Alton Brown's Good Eats episode intrigued me with the science of emulsion and I can no longer eat store bought mayo. Another factor that makes homemade mayo so delicious... the use of fresh eggs. The yolks are dark yellow and they add a wonderful richness to the sauce. This mayo is a darker yellow than the typical brand (because of the yolks and mustard) but that's just added character! Although I can't say that I improved on Alton's recipe, I will say that I adapted the recipe to my taste. Small side note: It isn't recommended that those with compromised immune systems or pregnant women consume raw egg; use a pasteurized egg instead.

Home Mayonnaise:
1 large fresh egg yolk
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp white wine vinegar
1/2 to 1 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 cup canola oil
-Whisk together the egg yolk, juice, vinegar, mustard, and salt until blended and bright yellow.
-In a VERY slow stream add the oil to the egg mixture while whisking vigorously for several minutes. When the mayo is combined and thick, cover and chill for a few hours.

Leftover mayo makes great garlic aioli, but my favorite thing to do is make...

Tuna Salad:
1/3 cup homemade mayo
1/4 cup sour cream
Zest and juice from 1/2 lemon
1 Tbsp chopped fresh dill
1 lb chunky white tuna
1 small shallot, minced
2 ribs of celery, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
-Whisk mayo, sour cream, juice, and dill to combine. Stir in remaining ingredients and chill. (If shallots are too strong, you can soak them in ice water for an hour before adding them to the recipe)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Katy! It's Amanda Hickman. I have really enjoyed following your blog! Your pictures and recipes are all so fun and tasty looking!

    I was wondering...what do you know about honey mustard dressing? Lately, I have been in a honey mustard kick, constantly craving it! I was trying to think of what all might be in it health-wise...I thought the mustard and honey should be pretty good for you since they are natural things...I was thinking of trying to find a good, healthy (if that is possible) recipe for this stuff. Do you have any tips?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amanda!
    How are you doing? How's school? If you ever want to chat my email address is: klunderw@samford.edu

    I do have a great honey mustard recipe and its straight from Alton Brown. (Add some mayo to make it creamier, but not exactly healthier) I've also added ginger and soy sauce for more flavor. Alton's recipe is super simple and much healthier than bottled versions (fewer preservatives and calories).

    Honey Mustard Dressing
    5 Tbsp honey (darker is preferable)
    3 Tbsp Dijon mustard
    1-2 Tbsp apple cider or rice wine vinegar
    -Whisk together ingredients. Add less vinegar for a dip, and more for a dressing. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete