Thursday, June 4, 2009

Feta and Dill Stuffed Swiss Chard

I'm not one for making fussy stuffed foods at home. (Usually leave that to the professionals) I prefer my swiss chard sauteed with a little garlic, super simple! However, my CSA provider (Rosehip Farm and Garden) sent us a few recipes with this week's box, and I'd hate to burn out on sauteed chard so I thought I'd give the recipe a shot. That and I was procrastinating on writing a paper for a class and cooking is a great distraction!

Swiss Chard is a leafy green vegetable with a crunchy edible stalk. It can have a bitter flavor, so most prefer to cook or blanch before eating. Chard is very high in Vitamins K, A, and C along with magnesium, potassium, and Iron. One cup of cooked chard only contains 35 calories and almost 4grams of fiber. What a delicious way to get more greens! As always, I made a few changes to make the recipe my own. I can never follow a recipe, must be the Underwood in me. Anyways here is my version:

Feta and Dill stuffed Swiss Chard
6 chard leaves
1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
1//2 cup feta cheese
8 oz mascarpone cheese
1/2 egg, slightly beaten
1 garlic scallion or green onion
1/2 tsp dill (or parsley)
Juice and zest of 1/2 lemon
2 tsp grainy mustard
Sprinkling of garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste

1.) Blanch chard leaves in boiling water for 30 seconds. Immediately place in an ice bath.

2.) Lay chard out to dry. Combine the rest of the ingredients in a medium bowl. Place 2 Tbsp of the filling on each leaf. Fold over the sides of the leaf and roll up like a burrito. Place the seam side on on a greased baking sheet and brush lightly with oil.

3.) Bake 25 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Serves 2-3 people.


These were so delicious that I couldn't wait to eat them! Sorry no picture this time!

No comments:

Post a Comment