Tuesday, December 21, 2010

An Old Favorite

Chocolate sheet cake.....I remember getting so excited whenever my mother made that dessert. I'd come home from school to find a large pan all set up, chocolate glistening and sprinkled with pecans, mmmmm! As I sat at our breakfast room table finishing up my homework, I would glaze longingly for a small slice. Sometimes I'd even walk over the try and find the pecan bit that looked like it might fall off. Surely no one would miss a small piece of pecan and a little scoop of icing? Fortunately for the dessert, my mom was always present to shoo me away before I did too much damage, and she always saved me a slice or two for later.

Below is the recipe with the original chocolate icing, however, if you'd like an alternate ending, I've also made the cake with a browned butter frosting. The browned butter requires chilling so be sure to add that to your time schedule. Enjoy!
Chocolate Sheet Cake:
2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
1/2 cup margarine
1/2 cup shortening
5 Tbsp cocoa powder
1 cup leftover coffee (or water)
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 eggs
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
-Sift together flour and sugar. In a large saucepan, combine margarine, shortening, cocoa, and coffee. Bring to a boil then remove from heat.
-Sift together flour and sugar into a mixing bowl. Beat in hot mixture and add remaining ingredients. Stir until just incorporated.
-Pour batter into a greased 15x10 baking pan and bake for 20 minutes at 400 degrees.

While cake is baking prepare chocolate frosting...


Chocolate Icing:
1/2 cup margarine
5 Tbsp cocoa powder
6 Tbsp milk
1 12 oz box of powdered sugar
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups chopped pecans
-Bring margarine, cocoa powder, and milk to a boil. Add to a mixing bowl with remaining ingredients and beat until fluffy.
-Pour frosting over hot cake and sprinkle with pecans.

Browned Butter Frosting:
1 cup butter
2/3 cup brown sugar
3 cups powdered sugar
1 cup heavy whipping cream
3 tsp vanilla
-Heat butter in a small saucepan for approx 8-10 minutes, stirring constantly. Butter will turn golden brown then remove from heat. Cover and chill butter for an hour.
-Whip butter, brown sugar and cream in a mixer until fluffy. Add vanilla and beat in powdered sugar cup by cup until you reach desired taste and consistency. (I've added less than 3 cups before, and sometimes more)

No comments:

Post a Comment