Saturday, July 17, 2010

Small Bites

Yesterday I was finally able to use up all four bags of salad greens as well as 4 of my Walla Walla onions at a squadron party. Even after eating salads everyday, I still had enough greens to make salad for 30 people! I also made a few appetizers utilizing all my onions, Seth's mother's fantastic fig preserves, and local cherries. Forgive me because I forgot to write down exact measurements, I'm writing this from memory.

Crostini Bites
Crackers or Crostini
1 8oz package of cream cheese, softened
1 cup fresh ricotta cheese
zest of 1 lemon
-Whisk together cream cheese, ricotta, and lemon zest. Spread over crostini and top with one of the recipes below.
Caramelized Onion and Cherry
4 Walla Walla onions (or 2 regular onions), sliced into rings
2 cups tart cherries, pitted and cut in half
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup molasses
1 tsp salt
-Saute onions in the butter until translucent, around 10 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and cook another 15-20 minutes until thickened. Let cool. Spoon over crostini.

Fig and Basil Compote
1 cup fig or pear preserves
basil leaves, cut into strips
1 tsp truffle oil
1/4 tsp salt
-Stir ingredients together and spread over crostini.

No comments:

Post a Comment