Thursday, July 15, 2010

Day 7

On Day 7 I was so excited. I thought I was down to a few onions and salads when I came home with my new CSA installment. However, as I was moving things around refrigerator, I found a bag full of rainbow chard and cabbage. How could I have forgotten? This week's basket included fresh garlic and a small bunch of basil. Those ingredients inspired me to make a chard pesto. And with two week's worth of chard, I made A LOT of pesto. Good thing it freezes well!

Chard Pesto:
Makes 2 cups
2 bunches of chard, ribs removed
3 cloves of garlic
1 cup pine nuts
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tsp salt
1/2 cup olive oil, or more
-Saute chard leaves until barely wilted
-Puree all ingredients in a food processor, adding more oil until pesto reaches desired thickness. Spoon into jars and cover with a thin layer of olive oil to prevent browning. Refrigerate or freeze until use.

No comments:

Post a Comment