Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Spring in a Jar

From the view outside my kitchen window, it's clear to see that spring hasn't sprung on Whidbey Island. In an attempt to satisfy my spring fruit cravings, I found some half-decent looking strawberries at the commissary. Fruit at the commissary seems to come in large containers and spoils quickly. What do I do with excess fruit? Make jam and can it! This brief sense of enlightenment was interrupted by practicality. I lack the proper canning equipment and knowledge to successfully produce a decent jelly. But that shouldn't stop me...

After a little research, I found that making freezer jam is quick and easy. Not that I'm always a fan of quick and easy, but the thought of sterilizing jars gives me nightmares of botulism contamination and sick friends, not good! One day I'll learn to can properly, but I need my spring fruit fix now, so I'll stick with quick and easy. At our local Ace Hardware store, I found an entire section dedicated to canned goods and I picked up a packet of No Cook Freezer Jam Fruit Pectin (what a mouthful). Side note: Pectin is a soluble fiber used as a gelling agent in preserves. Many fruits naturally contain pectin, but by adding more, the jam stabilizes without heating to condense the fruit. By not cooking the fruit, you get a fresher tasting result!

I tweaked the recipe on the back of the packet and it turned out delicious! Not being a fan of super sweet preserves, I only added half the sugar the recipe called for. If you're looking for a diabetic version, you can replace the sugar with Splenda. I also squeezed some fresh lime juice because I love an acid combination with sweet berries. Slather this jam on toasted country bread and you've got a yummy snack! My fruit-loving taste buds were sated (for a little while).

Strawberry Lime Freezer Jam
4 cups fresh ripe strawberries
1/2 to 1 cup sugar
zest and juice from 1 lime
1 (1.59oz) packet Freezer Fruit Pectin

-Slice strawberries and pulse in a food processor (or use a potato masher) until desired consistency (I like mine chunky). Add lime juice, zest, and sugar to taste and zest. Stir in pectin packet, and mix for around 3 minutes.
-Ladle into glass or plastic jam jars. Chill 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, to let pectin set and thicken. Makes about 5 (8oz) jars. Refrigerate for up to 3 weeks or freeze for up to a year. Enjoy!

1 comment: