Monday, April 20, 2009

Mmmmm Ceviche


Opposites attract, so they say... But what about opposite vacation styles? Seth loves to plan out the days by tourist site, restaurant, and bus stop in a very methodical manner. I prefer the "Underwood Style Vacation" which usually consists of running ourselves (and feet) ragged trying to visit every bakery, WW II plaque, and neat little shop. There is no plan with the Underwoods, we just go! We eat when we're hungry and find wonderfully out of the way restaurants. Last weekend Seth had his first taste of an "Underwood Vacation" (although it doesn't truly count because my dad wasn't there) with my sister in San Francisco and no clashing of vacation styles!

Seth side note: While it is true that we Harbin's are far more likely to tour in a more "methodical" manner, it is due to a simple, ingrained philosophy of what a "vacation" should be: relaxation to the max! Underwoods need a vacation after they get back from their vacation. I say quality and not quantity is the way to go! Not that the other technique doesn't yield much quality. Far from it! In fact, many of the most interesting places I have been with Katy (and I'm sure many traveler's would agree) were found when we were either completely lost or simply enjoying being outside. Needless to say, our travel styles have blended perfectly while we both retain our preferences for travel styles: Katy and marathon adventures laced with innumerable discoveries and myself with a book, cool drink, and comfy lounge chair.

Now back to my blog...
I wish I could talk about all of our foodie finds, but I'll just start with this wonderful little restaurant named Fresca that specialized in "nouveau Peruvian cuisine." Although our entree was delicious, we couldn't stop raving about their ceviche. Now I've had some good ceviche (or seviche) before, but this stuff was absolutely incredible! The dish was very simple, just lump halibut and slivered purple onions in a cilantro (and I mean a LOT of cilantro) lime and rocoto aji chili sauce. Plantain chips were served on the sides as well as corn nuts, whole garlic cloves, and a sweet potato. This was not a bland fishy ceviche, but a perfect balance of sweet, tang, and herb. We gobbled that appetizer up and I scribbled the ingredients down in hopes of recreating my own version.

Ceviche is a Latin American dish composed of raw white fish that has been "cooked" in a citrus juice to become firm and opaque in color. Seth and I found some great halibut cheeks in Seattle, although fillets will work great too. Its very important to get super fresh fish for this dish. We couldn't find the rocoto aji chile, so I substituted Sriracha chili sauce instead. Serve with a watercress salad and you have an appetizer fit for a sunny spring day!

Halibut Cilantro Ceviche:
1/2 lb fresh white skinless fish fillets (halibut, red snapper, sole)
Juice and zest of 2 limes
1/4 tsp Kosher salt
1 garlic clove, minced
3-5 squirts of Sriracha or other chili sauce, to taste
1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro (more if you dare)
1/4 purple onion, very thinly sliced

1. Slice fish into 2 inch by 1/4 inch strips. Mix rest of the ingredients and let fish marinate in fridge for at least an hour or until fish turns opaque white.

2. Serve over lettuce leaves or watercress salad. Or pair with some plantain chips or crackers. Serves 2 as light dinner or 4 as a small appetizer.

Add ins: 
You can also serve with sliced roasted sweet potatoes, or mix with fresh corn, mango, avocado, chopped peppers, grapefruit, etc. The possibilities are deliciously endless!













The picture at the top of the post was Fresca's ceviche. The shot above is my recreation.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, ceviche - YUM! I first had ceviche in Miami when I was in college. My friend Yami is a RD and her Cuban mama made delectable ceviche. SO GOOD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you two are so precious! i'm looking forward to hanging out when we get back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmm this makes my mouth water. Think I'll head over to Fresca right now

    ReplyDelete